J’s parents purchased a stenciled oak kitchen set, around 1944. The set included a table and chairs, buffet, and this cabinet.
Over the years, the furniture was altered. The stenciling was stripped and a new finish was applied. J seems to remember the original hardware was Bakelite, which would have been typical for this style furniture of that era.
We acquired the cabinet about 20 years ago and left it as it was, until last week.
J’s Aunt Ruth purchased a kitchen set at about the same time his parents bought theirs. Aunt Ruth’s had a white finish, with red and black stenciling. We’ve seen two sets, similar to hers, while antiquing along rural Missouri roads.
We’ve discussed painting the cabinet, but just never got around to following through until now.
The truth is, I was inspired to order Old White and Paris Grey, from Annie Sloan, in hopes of painting the old cabinet.
Because the piece was already altered, we had no qualms about painting the cabinet.
One coat Annie Sloan Paris Grey on exterior.
Benjamin Moore Guilford Green, interior back.
I hope to find vintage style handles/pulls. That will be the perfect finishing touch.
We have painted other furniture using a paint, sand, distress, wax technique, so that method is not new to us. However, this was our first time using chalk paint. I might do a dark wax later. I got this far, sanding and waxing, Thursday evening and stopped as we were heading to the lake for a couple of days.
At this point, the cabinet looks like the aged finish on an old kitchen cabinet that sat on my grandparents screened porch. That’s the look I had in mind when we started the project. When we return from the lake, I want to darken the sanded spots and apply more wax.
This is a great finish for oak. It is not easy getting a smooth finish when painting oak because of the grain. A wash usually does well with this wood, also. I enjoyed waxing and sanding the cabinet because the oak grain makes interesting texture.
My goal was to create a patina that appears fairly uncontrived, though contrived it is. Not honest paint/original paint, but I believe it is better than it was in it’s previous condition.
While waiting to put the finishing touches on the cabinet I put together a no sew bolster using a fabric remnant left from the foyer chair makeover. I will make four of these for the dining room chairs.
ANN AT ON SUTTON PLACE HAS A GREAT TUTORIAL FOR FACEBOOK. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS.